[Dixielandjazz] Beginning Clarinet

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Fri Mar 30 14:43:24 PDT 2007

Hey Rob:

I agree with K.C. Clarinet that it is important to play along with records,
and or the music minus one albums from Jamey Aebersold and/or others.

Another thought besides the basic instruction and learning the technical
aspects of the horn is ear training.

Ears differentiate the good from the not so good. Music is communication.
Like language, how do we all first learn to speak? Not but declining verbs
and diagramming sentences but by listening to others speak.

You might want to investigate Suzuki ear training in addition to formal
instruction for your son.

Guys like Tony Scott took listening to the extreme. He listened to Wolpe,
Stravinski, Mid East, Far East, African, etc., traveling all over the world
to hear the sounds of music. And he became unique in his sound. But he also
studied as well as listened.

In any event, find someone who can teach your son to hear and play what he
hears as well as playing the dots. It is one thing to simulate swing via the
usual dotted eight note teaching and quite another because you "Hear" guys
swing because who learned it by listening to others who do so instinctively.
Balancing technique and ear training is the hard part.

Jamey Aebersold has some interesting sources for Ear Training and improv
also, via books and records.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone