[Dixielandjazz] Beginning clarinet

Rob McCallum rakmccallum at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 30 08:39:32 PDT 2007

Hi all,

My nine-year-old son has decided to study the clarinet.  I just got him one,
but was wondering what the best etude books are for a beginning clarinet
player.  Being a trombone player, I really don't know the first thing @ the
clarinet.  I studied out of the Arbans book when I was learning.  Is there
something like that for clarinet?

Also, he really wants to learn to play jazz (he has really taken to the
Benny Goodman small group recordings).  I was in high school before I began
learning to improvise.  What's the most effective method for getting the ear
training going for that age level?

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Rob McCallum