[Dixielandjazz] "Mile or Mo' Bird Rag" (was ooooh- ahhh)

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Thu Mar 29 16:42:23 PDT 2007

Dear Ed,
At last! We are back onto a legitimate OKOM subject!
"Mile or Mo' Bird Rag" was recorded by Allbert Ammons and His Rhythm
Kings for Decca in Chicago on 14 January 1936 with Guy Kelly, t;
Delbert Bright, cl/as; Albert Ammon, p; Ike Perkins, g; Israel Crosby,
sb; Jimmy Hoskins, d.
The only currently available CD I know of with it on is 'Hey! Piano
Man' - a collection of early Boogie Woogie recordings by Albert Ammons,
Pete Johnson, Meade Lux Lewis, and Jimmy Yancey. with great examples of
the barrelhouse - rent party style of piano playing.
It is on a bargain-priced 4-CD set (JSP 7747).
Listmate Jazz Jerry Brown will be able to get it.
According to Eric Townley's book 'Tell Your Story', the mythical
mile-or-mo bird is one which flies backwards because it is more
interested in where it has been than where it is going.
But then Ed, you knew most of that when you said: > Perhaps I spoke too
soon, what of the "Mile or More" bird, BYE  BYE  Bird.<
Kind regards,
Bill