[Dixielandjazz] Lyrics To "Mighty 'Lak A Rose?

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Wed Mar 28 17:40:04 PDT 2007

>  I enjoyed again a recording of Jack Teagarden playing "Mighty 'Lak A
> Rose" last night. I was wondering about the lyrics. Does anyone know
> them?

Dear Marty,
  "Mighty 'Lak A Rose". (1901. Ethelbert Nevin, music-Frank Stanton,
lyrics.)

Sweetest Li'l feller ev'rybody knows;
Dunno what to call him. but he mighty lak' a rose!
Lookin' at his Mammy wid eyes so shiny blue,
Mak' you think that heav'n is comin' clost ter you!

W'en he's dar asleepin', in his li'l' place,
Think I see de angels lookin' thro' de lace,
W'en de dark is fallin' w'en de shadders creep,
Den dey comes on tiptoe ter kiss 'im in his sleep.

Sweetest Li'l feller ev'rybody knows;
Dunno what to call him. but he mighty lak' a rose!
Lookin' at his Mammy wid eyes so shiny blue,
Mak' you think that heav'n is comin' clost ter you!

Kind regards,
Bill