[Dixielandjazz] Bunny Berigan

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Mon Mar 26 15:20:08 PDT 2007

> One of the best sources of information about Bunny Berrigan is in Richard
> Sudhalter's Book, "Lost Chords"............ Another, though shorter
information source, is in Dan Morgenstern's Book "Living With
Jazz".............<

Dear Steve,
[My apologies. A bit late in replying.  Been busy.]
There is also a book, 'Bunny Berigan. Elusive Legend of Jazz' by Robert
Dupius (1993. Louisiana State University Press. 368 pages + photographs and
a selected discography.)
A well researched biography (including an overview of recordings) of this
great musician, and an excellent read.
To add to your comment re BB and BG. Bunny first joined Benny in late
November 1934. Both were well known to each other from when they recorded
together in 1931 and 1933 while both worked, lucratively, in 'the studios'.
They came together again when BG put together a big band which auditioned
for and won a contract for NBC's 'Let's Dance' radio series. The BG programs
commenced on 1 December 1934 and ran for 26 weeks up to 25 May 1935, when
Nabisco decided not to continue its sponsorship.
For the inaugural broadcast BG hired both Bunny Berigan and Gene Krupa (the
start of a long association) and was able to employ arranger Fletcher
Henderson. However, Berigan's tenure with Goodman's radio band was also
tenuous. He had other better paid studio work and his short stay with
Goodman was frequently interrupted by Bunny's 'habit'. (There is an extant
recording from 5 Jan 1935 which shows this. He was fired by Goodman that
night.)
The cancelling of Goodman's NBC long series left an excellent big band
in-waiting. Fortunately it was immediately hired for a 6-week residency at
the Roosevelt Hotel in New York while the (now famous) cross-country tour
was being organised.  Bunny rejoined the band in mid June shortly before the
Roosevelt gig finished at the end of June-early July 1935 and in time for
the tour.
He recorded his first sides with the Goodman band, for Victor, on 25 June
1935. All 3 Victor sessions, involving 11 titles have been reissued numerous
times. However, the only currently available version I can find is the
comprehensive, 'Benny Goodman. The Birth of the Big Band (1935-1936)' 3-CD
set (RCA-Bluebird 61038), which I have.
As a matter of interest, back in July 2004, I roughly calculated that a
'complete' collection of Bunny Berigan's recordings (including air-shots and
transcriptions) would require about 20 CDs.
Kind regards,
Bill.