[Dixielandjazz] Bunny Berigan

Don Ingle dingle at nomadinter.net
Sun Mar 25 05:52:24 PDT 2007

Hal Vickery wrote:
> I've never heard that story.  The story I know is that Bobby Hackett played
> guitar for Miller after having dental work.  Hackett puts down his guitar
> and picks up his trumpet (or cornet?) on "A String of Pearls."
>
> Hal Vickery
> Don Ingle responds:
>
> It was Hackett on guitar with Miller and among the sides he did with Miller was one cut long overlooked but perhaps the best of all Hackett solos with that band, "From One Love to Another." That tune was composed by Ernstro Lacuana (Sp?) who composed Malaguena among other latin tunes often played in big band books. Hackett's marvelous lyrical/chordal syle was often attributed to his also being a very competive guitarist.

I have one old 78 of Hackett from the time he was with Horace Heift
Orch, made indepenant of that band, of two Bix-inspired  tunes,
Clarinade Marmalade and Singing the Blues. Lovely little small band
charts and Hackett just flowed as tasty as ever.
Gee -- what a nice memory -- got to borrow a turntable for 78's and dub
it off.  bet Bill Haesler know that one well.
Don Ingle