[Dixielandjazz] Tommy Turk, trombonist

Dave Hanson jazzdude39 at comcast.net
Sat Mar 24 19:31:14 PDT 2007

I have been trying to find info about this little known monster trombonist. I do have two CD copies from a friend, now deceased, which is a Jazz at the Philharmonic a Norman Granz concert with Charlie Parker and several other all-stars . The other is an unknown live recording with a sideman which sounds like Stan Getz. The Granz concert was 1949, the second in unknown.

I have discovered that he was born in Philadelphia in 1927 and was shot to death in a Las Vegas  liquor store in 1981 when he walked in during a hold up to buy a bottle a champagne for his anniversary. He was asked for his wallet, and for resisting was murdered.

I have both of Leonard Feathers books and John Chilton's book, Who's Who in Jazz, published in 1972. He isn't mentioned in that book either. I know that at one time he organized a big band but the only person I'm sure was involved with him was Frank Rosolino.

He was a great player and I believe he was playing in the Vegas big bands and really wasn't recorded much, but surprisingly I can't find anymore than  what I currently know.

Thanks for your help.

Dave Hanson
Atlanta