[Dixielandjazz] A band, Texas-style

tcashwigg at aol.com tcashwigg at aol.com
Sat Mar 24 17:22:51 PDT 2007

Hi David:

Of course self subsidized music happens elsewhere !!   it happens all
over the world  when bands anywhere are plying for free or less money
than the expenses needed to pay for their getting to and from a gig.
This is also not unique to OKOm music, it is running rampant in the
Rock music scene on almost any given night the clubs that they play
have five or six bands on the bill playing for free or "The DOOR"  and
if they are lucky they take the door off the hinges and take it home
for firewood.

The of course we have many bands made up of Professionals making a
great living in other professions that play a little music on the
weekends for less than reasonable fees for a professional band just
because they want to play so badly.  Rumor has it hat there is one such
band in N. California that tours all over the world subsidized by it's
founder.   There is nothing wrong with that either, if he can afford to
do it and hire good players wonderful he is actually creating work and
putting his money where his mouth is so to speak.  I also hear that
this particular guy is an excellent player himself.

If you run it like a business it has a lot of great tax benefits for a
person in a high tax bracket to subsidize a band operation.
Somebody has to subsidize any BAND that is going to get off the ground
and go anywhere, and be marketed, and promoted to higher levels of
income and success.   Otherwise you simply have some cats who blow a
little music for fun as sidemen musicians and they will most likely
remain just that all their lives.   A nice group of sidemen going from
one smalltime gig to the next.   I also understand that there are lot
of guys that want to do exactly that and just that.  Tis their choice.
 Different strokes for different folks as they say out west.

Cheers,

Tom Wiggins