[Dixielandjazz] New Orleans French Quarter Jazz Festival

Don Gumpert dongumpert at cox.net
Thu Mar 22 19:17:47 PDT 2007

When I was in New Orleans in December, I was quite depressed by the lack of
people, about 50 on Bourbon Street on a Wednesday evening.
I went to New Orleans last weekend to commemorate the second anniversary of
the passing of my Don on March 17, 2005.  The streets were full of people
all day!   I know many were there for the basketball games (whatever they
are) but, they were filling the Quarter and having fun.  The Natchez Queen
had a great crowd for the cruise on Saturday evening.  Unfortunately, we
didn't make the cruise because our host, Mike Fulton became ill and had to
get off the boat before it sailed  (he's fine).
I am hoping to go for the French Quarter Jazz Festival which starts on April
13, anyone else going?  I know we've tried F2F in previous years, still
trying!  There's just too much to do and too many different places to be.
In my opinion, the FQJF is probably the best festival in the country.  Jazz
Heritage probably gets more publicity but, it's in one location, the
fairgrounds and, it is NOT all OKOM.   FQJF Music is played on every street
from Jackson Square to Bourbon Street, no admission charge, with bands
spaced every two blocks.
Sandy Gumpert
Fort Walton Beach, FL.