[Dixielandjazz] FW: Plastic Artisis

David Richoux tubaman at tubatoast.com
Mon Mar 19 12:35:47 PDT 2007

There has  been a strong connection between modern and traditional
arts & crafts and the New Orleans Jazzfest - the modern sculptors,
painters and other artists fiercely compete for sales and awards each
year! (as do the food vendors - not the typical hot dogs and cheeze
pizza vendors for this crowd.)

from the nojazzfest website:
> CONTEMPORARY CRAFTS
>
> Contemporary Crafts is a highly competitive juried contemporary art
> fair featuring up to 60 different artists each weekend. Set amid
> two of our most dynamic music tents in Heritage Square,
> Contemporary Crafts is a nationally recognized showcase of alluring
> handcrafted fine art and crafts.
As a veteran arts & craft fest goer I can attest to the high quality
of the contemporary crafts, as well as the traditional folkart crafts
on display at Jazzfest.

I just did a search on "jazz fest arts and crafts" and I see that
there are many festivals in the US and around the world that have
combined jazz music and the "plastic arts." Some put the arts above
the music - some the other way around.
(maybe not the more traditional OKOM festivals as much... how many
feathers, spangly hats that say "dixielandjazz" and such do we really
need, anyway?)

Dave Richoux