[Dixielandjazz] OFF LIST - - Another Band Marketer . . . NOT

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Mon Mar 19 06:00:52 PDT 2007

Since Steve's letter came to me through the list, I will answer through the
list.
Jim

Steve Barbone wrote, and not too diplomatically, I should point out:
>They (International bands) must have cost a shitpot full more than Jim's
band.

That's just the point, Steve.  This has been going on in Spain since I've
been here (40 yrs).  The festivals pay "shitpots full", as you so delicately
put, for foreign bands, and expect Spanish bands to play for nothing or very
little.  Well, we don't need to do that, as we are as busy each month as we
wish to be already.  Also,I can guarantee you that our price will have been
right up there with the rest.  I've been doing this for a long time!

We had little chance of getting to Catalunya (Barcelona region) anyway, as
anyone/thing from Madrid is greatly disliked by the folks up north. You
constantly rave on about how each should know his own territory.  Well, I do
know mine, thank you very much.

Steve, you need to get your International facts correct.
Steve incorrectly wrote:
>Damn, he never even contacted them back last year or this year and he got
"NATIONAL EXPOSURE" playing at the Coronation of their fucking KING?

We played for the wedding of the King's son, which was a Royal Wedding, not
a Coronation!

And, no, I didn't contact the festival folk back, as I was not particularly
interested in playing at their festival, which is entirely unknown in Spain.
And, our exposure for the wedding was international, not national...with 1
billion world-wide tv viewers!  It didn't change the attitude of the band,
and we are still enjoying playing where & when we play, not desiring much
more.  To each his own.  None of us have the extra time to be running around
playing unknown festivals, and the band is a cooperative.

The King is apparently just what you impolitely called him above.  Although
everyone knows he gets around, it is never, ever spoken of in the press or
anywhere else.  After all, he IS a King!  Extra activities are just accepted
as a norm.  I know you didn't mean that word in that manner, but feel the
way I used the word is less insulting to our Royalty than the way you used
it!

(By the way, I am curious as to why you wrote "he never contacted them",
etc., in your letter.  You obviously weren't writing to me. Why would you
bother yourself to write to someone else about something I said on DJML,
which wasn't even particularly interesting?  And, why slander me so?)

Steve wrote:
>What a damn fool when it comes to promoting his band.

Your opinion has nothing to do with the way we prefer to promote our band,
or decide where we wish to play.  It does not make me a fool, damned or not.
You should keep some of your opinions to yourself!

Your letter, which was supposedly to have been sent privately, not through
DJML, exposes to all list members how you have been treating others on the
list over the last few years, with some private emails using much worse
terms than "damn fool".

DJML, I present Steve Barbone...with his pants down!

Jim Kashishian