[Dixielandjazz] Music awards of our own

tcashwigg at aol.com tcashwigg at aol.com
Thu Mar 15 22:07:53 PDT 2007

Well Bill:  me thinks you have been over at herr Gunter's sippin on the
single malt, a nice idea but not likely to happen since you would need
to charge more than $5.00 admission to be able to afford the trophies
and certificates ( atta Boys) for the almost wons etc.

And at the wages most OKOM musicians admit or not to working for, they
could not afford to show up for the ceremonies either, so we would have
a group of well meaning Jazz Society board members accepting all the
trophies on behalf of the out of town honorees.

Not that that is a bad thing from an economical sense, you see if you
know they ain't gonna show up to get a six dollar trophy or a
certificate for being alive then you don't really need to manufacture
more than two or three trophies and you can just keep recycling them
all night or is on a Sunday afternoon :)).   And the same guys would of
course get them every year since it is usually the same guys playing
every festival, even though we hear rumors that there are waiting lists
for some festivals of at least 500 bands and then two years later the
list is up to 1000 bands on that list.  Hummmm   where are all these
groups coming from, they sure as Hell ain't working the Dixieland
circuit.

I have been there and done that in the Blues World, this year's awards
show drew 500 people, 250 of whom were on the guest list and family
members of the local honorees for such things as Blues club of the year
to a joint you would not go to even in the daylight hours :))
And the band of the year that played there that nobody has ever heard
of because they won't go there.   etc. etc.

Awards shows are hype to pat each other on the back for but hey I'll
help :

We could call the trophies the Loui's if you want and the event the
"DAMMIES"  :))   I can get Geritol and Exlax for sponsors

Tom Wiggins