[Dixielandjazz] Bootleg Booze & Single Malts, & Loch Lomond

George Thurmond gthurmond at stx.rr.com
Thu Mar 15 10:53:47 PDT 2007

	As some just said, Bobbie Burns "Loch Lomond" can indeed swing.
I'm thinking Martha Tilton's rendition with Benny's band at the 1939
Carnegie Hall concert.

	Alas, spring is springing soon, and my ritual is to put away
(into cabinets) those wonderful inspiring single malts until fall,
damper the fireplace, and wait until fall and the first "norther" to
uncork, rekindle and start sipping them again.  Bourbon, rum, martinis,
etc. attempt to fill in the gap.  All done year-round in moderation, of
course.

	Decades ago, in undergraduate school in southeastern Tennessee,
I had the good fortune to be able to sample real honest-to-God bootleg
booze, and in my memory it was as smooth or smoother as any drink eve
tasted.  There were two "varieties" - Red Eye and White Lighting.  Both
went down quite easily, and kicked like a mule!  We drank 'em out of
mason jars that we passed around - ah, the days of my youth!

George Thurmond