[Dixielandjazz] Single Malt economics - theory and practice

pat ladd pj.ladd at btinternet.com
Thu Mar 15 11:19:19 PDT 2007

 I might add a means of stretching the hootch budget out a bit.>>

Hi Don,
trying to stretch the budget ?  Gosh that reminded me of a trip to the
States many years ago. It was a Rotary visit to a Rotary Club in Houston (or
Yewston as we learned to call it)
All the Brits were a bit short of money. Rotary in the UK does not operate
at the same financial level as the US and Europe.
I decided that as a present to our hosts I would take them some whisky. I
bought some Red Label at Heathrow in the  tax free shop and paid what I
thought was a pretty steep price .This was in the days when a shot of whisky
in a pub was about twice the price of a pint of beer.
When I proudly presented this bottle to my host he gave a fairly perfunctory
grunt of `Thanks` and opened a cupboard door and added it to his store which
must have amounted to about 10 gallons. I had never seen so much whisky
outside a shop in my life
Later I persuaded him to buy a bottle of single malt. He complained that he
usually bought a gallon for the same price, and pronouinced it `Sippin`
whisky`.

Cheers

Pat