[Dixielandjazz] Single Malt economics - theory and practice

Don Ingle dingle at nomadinter.net
Wed Mar 14 10:12:13 PDT 2007

 >You get what your pay for< The subject of single malt economics -
theory and practice
As one whose ancestors were drinking single malt (usque baugh) before
they knew there was anything else, I might add a means of stretching the
hootch budget out a bit.
In between rewarding yourself for whatever earned the reward, you might
consider the better blends. My bargain is a very good one --  White
Horse Scotch. The flavor is very nice thanks to the addition of
Lagavulin, a very fine Islay single malt, as the main flavoring.
Alternating reward days with White Horse means that while I am doing
without the full single malt pot still goody, I still get a taste of
some good stuff. That means that I strive to be extra good so I can
reward myself more often, but still have a decent taste in between
during my average days.
You will find that certain blends may carry the hint and taste of your
favorite single malt. I tend to favor the Sprys, but enjoy
the Islays very much. Though there is a small corpuscle or two of
MacDonald blood in my veins, I tend to avoid the only single Malt made
on Skye, Talisker. It goes beyond the usual anticipation of peat-smoke,
salt iodine tinge, even for an Islay fan, and has been known to curl
the toenails backwards on the feet of the uninitiated malt sipper.
I usually have Aberlour,Cardhu  and a few other Speys on hand, but I
also have a budget single matl that is no at all lacking in a good taste
- Speyburn. Compared at Michigan state-controlled and overtaxed price,
is runs about 12-25 busks less than most others speys.
If you need to conserve, pricewise, there are ways, laddies, and "if you
can say its a bra bricht nicht, your all right, you ken!"
Having said that -- perhaps it is time for all recent verbal combatants
to sit down, have a few drams of usque baugh, and mellow out while
listenng to whatever you like to hear and enjoy it for its own sake.
Dohmnal MacAingael (Don Ingle for you Sassenoch in New Jersey and
elsewhere.)