[Dixielandjazz] Where is the Music Going? SXSW?

Dan Augustine ds.augustine at mail.utexas.edu
Thu Mar 15 08:29:03 PDT 2007

     Where is the music going?  Nowhere near OKOM.
     Here's the list of performers who won at the Austin Music Awards
(http://www.austin360.com/calendar/content/events/stories/2007/03/15awardwinners.html).
Note that the winner under Jazz was Blaze (who/whatever that is) and
that the closest any group came to OKOM is under Novelty, with the
White Ghost Shivers (http://www.whiteghostshivers.com/ ) winning
(actually, somewhat of an achievement even in that category).
     As a friend of mine explained, all of these bands and categories
carry the invisible label of "guitar-based".  Thus the answer is
clear: play an electric guitar (and maybe also for good measure, an
electric bass) in your OKOM band, even to get noticed by anyone in
this crowd.  Y'all also need to let your hair (if you have any left)
grow, or maybe comb your eyebrows up over your bald head . . .

Band of the Year: Asleep at the Wheel
Musician of the Year: Patrice Pike
Best New Band: Band of Heathens
Rock: Patrice Pike
Punk: Riverboat Gamblers
Metal: Powderburn
Industrial/Goth: Lucid Dementia
DJ: DJ Mel
Indie: the Octopus Project
Jazz: Blaze
Blues: Gary Clark Jr.
Hip Hop: Overlord
Instrumental: the Octopus Project
Experimental: the Octopus Project
Country: Asleep at the Wheel
Bluegrass: South Austin Jug Band
Roots Rock: Mother Truckers
Folk: the Hudsons
Latin Traditional: Del Castillo
Latin Contemporary: Grupo Fantasma
World Music: Tea Merchants
Cover Band: Skyrocket
Kid Band: Sara Jarosz
Novelty: White Ghost Shivers
None of the Above: Brobdingnagian Bards

     Dan

**  Dan Augustine  --  Austin, Texas  --  ds.augustine at mail.utexas.edu
**    "I am sitting in the smallest room in the house.  I have your
**     review in front of me.  Soon it will be behind me."
**       -- Max Reger (1873-1916) to a music critic