[Dixielandjazz] Islay

Ron Wheeler ronald_wheeler at bellsouth.net
Wed Mar 14 11:55:26 PDT 2007

For Brother Bill Gunter -- and at the risk of dragging this non-OKOM topic
out even further -- I offer the following from The Independent Newspaper for
Islay and Jura - Community Newspaper of the Year:

How do I pronounce Islay so that I don't sound like a tourist?

Islay is pronounced 'Eye-lah' and not Izlay. The latter pronunciation is
darned annoying but, if you can master the proper version, you'll do alright
until you have to say Bunnahabhain or Bruichladdich. (Nobody said this stuff
was easy)

http://www.ileach.co.uk/faq/index.html

But then again, what do I know?  I'm perfectly happy with the
reasonably-priced and excellent blend, Famous Grouse.

Respectfully submitted,

Ron