[Dixielandjazz] Jazz/Single Malt/Blends/Chocolate and attitudes

Bill Gunter jazzboard at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 14 11:01:06 PDT 2007

Hi all,

The discussion of single malts may seem somewhat remote from our assigned
topic - jazz. If so, we should disabuse ourselves of that notion. Booze and
jazz (not to mention weed and even stronger substances) have long been
related.

Having said that, by way of justification for continuing this thread, I'd
like to comment on something brother Donald Ingle said (regarding the
expensive nature of good single malts): " . . . you might consider the
better blends. My bargain is a very good one --  White Horse Scotch. The
flavor is very nice thanks to the addition of Lagavulin, a very fine Islay
single malt."

As a matter of fact, it is possible one may even experiment with blending
right in the confines of one's own home.  I have found that, for my tastes,
even the blandest and cheapest of scotches (Cluny, for example) can be
inproved with the addition of a bit of an Islay (pronounced EYE-lee) single
malt.  If I add just one jigger of Laphroag (fairly strong, smokey/peaty
flavor) to a 1.75 liter bottle of Cluny I will produce a beverage which is
considerably more potable than the Cluny alone.

In my original posting I also lauded the charactistics of chocolate -
without which the planet would be a drab miserable place indeed - as a means
of "mellowing out" and providing enhanced "conflict resolution!"

I would like to note - for the record - that after a dessert of some form of
chocolate, a post-prandial  wee dram is the perfect complement. If one then
sits down at the computer to dash off a post to the DJML he or she is more
apt to avoid hurtful and abusive discourse.

Respectfully submitted,

Bill "And don't you forget it!" Gunter
jazzboard at hotmail.com