[Dixielandjazz] Getting Personal

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Mon Mar 12 18:20:49 PDT 2007

Tamas wrote (polite snip)

> And, finally, sorry to write this, Steve but I think, I have to tell you
> now that as a DJML member, who is mostly just lurking, I am not very
> happy to read your arrogant comments from time to time. I enjoy most of
> your postings but when you get personal you intend to act as someone who
> always knows better. I am VERY critical myself, too but I wish you would
> accept others more. You know that we are many different people here on
> this list from many different countries with many different views, so
> please, don't be a judge. Jerry and John are among the most
> knowledgeable members of the list - you can have different views and
> express them as gentlemen. Please.

Thank you Tamas. I take your critique in the spirit that it is offered. I
also hope that you did not miss the posts by Jerry and John which elicited
my acerbic responses. I offered an opinion which was answered by:

>From Jerry: "I have been very quiet since returning to the DJML but really
could not these ridiculous remarks go unchallenged."

>From John: "Mr. Barbone's asinine assessment"

But I agree with you, Tamas, I should not have let their attacks above get
me to responding as sarcastically as I did.

I do regret that you read my posts as arrogant comments. They are not meant
as such. And I regret that you interpret my remarks as a judgement. They are
not meant as such for who am I to judge? And I do regret that you think I am
someone who always know better. All I do is support my opinions with
examples. I appreciate all opinions, believe that folks are entitled to
their own opinions and welcome those differing from mine. I do not
characterize other people's opinions as mine were characterized above. All I
ask is that opposing opinions be backed up by facts and/or examples, and not
just statements like the two above, with no backup and, which I think you
will agree, were nothing more than personal attacks.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone