[Dixielandjazz] Harlem Jazz? was Cartoon music of theBratislavaHot Serenaders

Ron L lherault at bu.edu
Mon Mar 12 06:10:11 PST 2007

When we hear a band like the BHS and read appellations such as "Mickey
Mouse" and "Cartoon Music",  I think we have to stop and ask ourselves why
these fine musicians, and I think all will agree that they were playing
their instruments well, soloing ably, etc, chose to play this music.  They
are far removed geographically from its place of origin.  They are fairly
far removed culturally, I think it is safe to say, and obviously, they are
far removed from the music chronologically.   When I pondered these
questions, I am drawn to a couple of conclusions.  One is that the music
speaks to them (they like it) and we have no right to belittle or denigrate
because our opinion is different.  The other conclusion that I reach is that
the music has value in and of itself.  And again, we have no right to
belittle it because of a difference of opinion.

I personally found their sound delightful.  I was pleased with the execution
and presentation of the material.  I would go to see/hear them if I could
and know that I would enjoy myself immensely.

Ron L