[Dixielandjazz] Harlem Jazz? was Cartoon music of the BratislavaHot Serenaders

Robert S. Ringwald robert at ringwald.com
Sun Mar 11 19:50:27 PST 2007

 Steve Barbone wrote:

 > "Robert S. Ringwald" <robert at ringwald.com>
>
>> Hey Bill,
>>
>> Please don't call it Cartoon Music.  It is great, Hot Harlem Jazz.
>

> Hi Bob:
>
> Do you mean Haarlem as in The Netherlands?

Of course not.

> I can't recall any bands in
> Harlem NYC playing as Mickey Mouse as that.

1.  I don't think you were in Harlem in the 20s.

2.  It was not at all mickey mouse.  It is something that the Night hawks
would play as really Hot jazz.

> Seriously, though, the Bratislave musicians are excellent. The band is
> well
> arranged. BUT, Is it jazz?
>
> Guys like Eddie Condon would have said no and reminded us that jazz in the
> 1920s/30s was popularly associated with Whiteman, Gershwin and Irving
> Berlin. and that the Bratislava Band was playing popular music.

As I said, they were playing the Hot Harlem Jazz of the late 20s and early
30s.

> Perhaps that kind of music in the "jazz age", as compared to the real jazz
> of the originators, (Oliver, Bolden, Armstrong, Bechet et al) is more like
> what Kenny G and his clones play today, compared to the real jazz of this
> and/or any other era?

Sorry Steve, I have to respectfully say that you are all wet.

--Bob Ringwald