[Dixielandjazz] Fletcher Henderson's "Wrappin It Up"

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sun Mar 11 12:35:55 PST 2007

> "Robert Smith" <robert.smith at tele2.no> wrote

> Sorry, Steve, I've just listened to "Wrappin' It Up", and it doesn't remind
> me of anything, except that it is a typical Fletcher Henderson arrangement.

That's Ok Bob. I thought it might remind some list mates of the Benny
Goodman rendition of "Wrappin It Up" made a few years later, after BG wisely
bought some arrangements, including that one, from Henderson. One of the
critiques said, in part, about BG's version, (a tour de force)

". . . .from the late '30s we hear trumpet player Ziggy Elman soloing
strongly. "Wrappin' It Up", again arranged by Fletcher Henderson, offers
Elman and Chicago tenor saxophonist Bud Freeman, who provides a swinging
solo in the Lester Young mold."

Cheers,
Steve Barbone