[Dixielandjazz] [SPAM] Re: More on Bill Wood

Don Ingle dingle at nomadinter.net
Sat Mar 10 16:11:05 PST 2007

Bill Haesler wrote:
> >From Don Ingle: I got a note  form Charlie Lodice, noting this:
> *I PLAYED WITH TED'S BAND DURING THE 50s ..I REPLACED SMOKEY
> STOVER...TOM TOM CLUB GLANDALE...SARDI'S IN HOLLYWOOD & 2 DIXIELAND
> CONCERTS AT THE SHRINES....RALPH HARDEN TRPT. LEE COUNTRYMAN PIANO
> ..BILL WOODS CLAR. TED WAS GREAT....*that he owkred [worked] with Ted
> Vesley;s band. <
>
> If my memory serves me correct (although, I wouldn't bet on it any more)
> there was a fine IAJRC Journal article regarding Bill Wood a year or so
> back, which may mention Ted Vesely. All I have to do now is find that
> Journal in my 'piling' system.
> Kind regards,
> Bill.
>
> Don Ingle added: Bill Woood was a wonderful player. He -- as did MAtty Matlock -- had one of the warmest and woody sounds on clarinet among the many fine players at that tme. I knew him over the years he worked with Red Nichols, taking over after Matty and Rosey McHargue and a perect fit with the band playing those marvekous Bobby Hammock arrangements.

Bill  -- second job -- worked in a camera shop in LA and was the guy I
bought my film stuff from.
The last time I saw him was at LA when I played the Labor Day bash near
the airport and he was working with the Yankee Wailers.
Bill still played as well as ever. I was truly saddened when he passed a
few years later. A very kind man, a player to remember and a pleasure to
have him lodged securely in my memory banks while the "little gray
cells" last.
Don