[Dixielandjazz] Cut - thankfully - to the bone.

Don Ingle dingle at nomadinter.net
Fri Mar 9 06:23:51 PST 2007

David Dustin wrote:
> This thread is interesting.  IMO, trombones are not saxophones or trumpets
> and don¹t have to be played similarly to render an appropriate jazz solo, or
> else cats like Honore Dutrey and Kid Ory would have been invited off the
> stand back when jazz was in knee pants. And it¹s unarguable (when, maybe not
> on THIS list) that classical and jazz music are two very different animals.
> Back in the early Œ80s, when he made his ³permanent² jump to jazz, Wynton
> Marsalis was quoted as saying that in the classical trumpet canon, one is
> just playing all the written notes perfectly and praying that nothing is
> left out or added to mar the performance. Jazz was about personal
> expression, the notes and the feeling was up to the musician and that is
> what he was choosing, he said. No question but the giants of classical
> trombone today represent a pinnacle of technical mastery.  Can every jazz
> trombone measure up, technically, in terms of articulation and ³centered
> tone²? Probably not, but that is asking the wrong question.  Is the average
> jazz trombone¹s improvised expression, including whatever tone they care to
> use, still making a statement?  I would submit that the answer to that is
> yes.  Holding jazz trombonists up to a classical standard is a nonsensical
> test.  The objectives are different and there is little chance that they
> will utilize the same vocabulary.
>
> David Dustin

Written tight and to the point, Dave. But then I should not be surprised
considering your long experience as a reporter/journalist with some top
newspapers here in Michigan and elsewhere. You summed it up better in
one take than the over-erudite
"term paper" that we were underwhelmed with this week.
My compliments on keeping it summed up in a fraction of the space.
Don Ingle
(Happy to report three straight days of sunshine after four straight
weeks of mostly gray gloom.)