[Dixielandjazz] Cherokee -- Tatum

Robert S. Ringwald robert at ringwald.com
Thu Mar 8 21:18:54 PST 2007

Andy.Ling at Quantel.Com wrote:

> John Farrell said :-
>
>> There is a mindblowing clip of Tatum playing this on youtube - no
> visuals,
 x>> just sound. Oh, my . . . .!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzRcfJr1DW0

> While you are there check out this one. Don't be fooled by
> the first 10 seconds, it's Art Tatum like you've never seen
> him before :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1bn67LdlWM
(snip)

I remember the story about Tatum.  It seems that there was a famous
classical pianist, he might have been french, who admired Tatum.

He practiced one of Tatum's pieces and got it down note for note.  It took
him something such as six months.

Very proudly he played it for Tatum.

Tatum said something such as "That is very good."

Then Tatum sat down and played the same piece, totally different but just as
complicated.

It practically destroyed the classical player...

I may have some details wrong as I heard the story many years ago.  But
essentially it is correct.

--Bob