[Dixielandjazz] Play piano like Rachmaninov

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Wed Mar 7 13:34:22 PST 2007

> Some musicians suffer from physical limitations. Others overcome these
> limitations and go on to greater glory.
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifKKlhYF53w

Dear Stan,
Terrific. Wonderful.
In the 1970s when our band played at the Glenmore Hotel in Sydney¹s Rocks
area, an old bloke (probably younger than I am now) would occasionally call
in with his 3-sided pegged Œchord stick¹ and play a short bracket of old
song favourites using only the Œstick¹.
A great act and always earned him free beers.
About the same time (late 1960s-early 70s) Stan Laurel¹s brother (and his
concertina-playing wife dressed as an Irish colleen) would drop in to busy
inner Sydney pubs and do a 5-minute Charlie Chaplain in-costume Œtramp¹
routine.
Oz jazzman Graeme Bell, who knew him, once told me that they raised enough
tips in the hat pass-around for a trip Œhome¹ to England each year.
Thanks for the memories (as the song says).
Kind regards,
Bill.