[Dixielandjazz] For the Bones out there.

James Butler jbutler6 at twcny.rr.com
Wed Mar 7 06:09:24 PST 2007

Good grief I hardly know where to start! There are so many GREAT players
out there today and in so many different jazz idioms I can't believe
this "trombone player" made such silly statements as he did. I have been
holding the horn since I was 10 years old and I am now pushing 65 and
have a pretty fair knowledge of who is who. I will admit that Frank
Rosolino and Carl Fontana were one of a kind and natural players but
they gave birth to some of the best players who are all over the jazz
scene today.

Okay lets name some names:Andy Martin,Scott Whitfield,John Allred,Conrad
Herwig,Jim Pugh,Alan Kaplan,Dan Barrett,Harry Waters,Bjorn
Samuellson,Bob McChesney,Steve Davis,Michael Davis,Steve Turre,Bert
Boren,Mark Nightingale,Mike Nelson,Alex Iles,Herb Gardner,Harvey
Tibbs,Dave Steinmeyer,Roy Williams,Dave Bargeron,Bill Gemmer,Robin
Eubanks,Russ Phillips and the list could go on and on and on.

There are some of the most accomplished and interesting players in
Europe that most trombone players have never heard of but have to do
some research and seek out. Yes there will never be another Teagarden
nor should there be but there will be many more younger players to come
who will be influenced by him and may incorporate some of his playing.

Jim Butler