[Dixielandjazz] FW: What we lack

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Tue Mar 6 12:45:59 PST 2007

Actually we do have fairly high quality TV.  I watch the Spanish channels
here and I'm not impressed and I have spent some time in Europe and the
English language stations aren't very good.  Having said that I have also
spent a lot of time in Hannibal Missouri with their three stations (one is
Quincy Illinois) one of which is religious.  The programs that are somewhat
liberal aren't shown and other things substituted.  That might be great for
the Leave It To Beaver crowd but their TV really sucks and they don't even
have good commercials.  I would have to agree that 95% of the programming is
not for me either but the 5% that's left could keep you watching all the
time.  If you think TV is awful you are watching the wrong stuff but to each
his own.  The rest of the American public must also agree because they stay
home doing something in droves.

I get about 100 TV channels here and could get another 50 or 60 if I wanted
to pay for them.  My tastes run to theatre, music and History.  If I limited
myself to those three things I could fill up my dance card every night.

For someone who is less selective or likes comedy or sports for example they
can go into sensory overload with the programming available and if religion
is your taste you can go nuts with at least 5 channels preaching at us 24-7.

I wish I could be as unsuccessful as American TV.  The trouble is there are
too many things to do here and TV leads the pack.  There are so many niche
forms of music no one can get a crowd.
Larry
St. Louis