[Dixielandjazz] Monterey jazz Festival

billsharp sharp-b at clearwire.net
Sun Mar 4 22:40:49 PST 2007

Just returned from a weekend at the Monterey Jazz Festival where the
weather and scenery was both picture-postcard perfect.  Bet a lot of
people sent  those " Perfect/beautiful weekend  - -wish you were here"
postcards to friends. .  . . or maybe the the ones that say "I'm here,
wish you were perfect/beautiful".

Any way you slice it, the Monterey people put on a terrific festival,
and you can see the results of a lot of hard work., with stellar bands
chosen - - -   there was not  a schlock band in the bunch.  The only
thing which ruined several sets was the lack of any sound technicians
at any of the sites.  The organizers apparently simply placed mics on
stage, set all levels the same , and walked away.  At least that's the
impression that the people in our group got from the audio quality of
bands the first day, and we left several sets where fine bands were
playing, simply because of the sound mix. . .twas like seeing the queen
dressed in homeless apparel. . . shocking.

  As bands began wising up to the the situation and began monitoring
their own sound more carefully, the sound quality began improving
dramatically, and by about about a quarter way through the festival
began sounding like their true selves - -  marvelous, simply marvelous.

Mighty Aphrodite is to continuing to notch up their performance level
at each festival at which they appear.  Whereas they initially appeared
as a novelty/cute band with fairly decent musical skills for being so
young, they are now just a hair's-breadth from becoming classified as
true musical professionals... The grand thing about them is that you
know that each one of them is musically challenging themselves to
improve  by not "playing safe"  when they solo - - they "go for it"
especially Bria (trumpet) with the others catching on to that notion
quickly.  Both the trombone and clarinet player are ramping up for the
big time.  (And P.S., they're ALL  still very novelty/ cute)  :))

They had a substitute piano player, merely 22 years old who had an
incredible touch, and played solos well-worth listening to.  If she's
only subbing and you need a might fine piano player, I'd say "Get her".
  [ I almost said "Grab her", but realized the sinister implications.]

Their bassit and drummer both provide a continuous driving force that
any lead player in the world would feel comfortable standing in front
of.

There's another band on the horizon that you absolutely must hear,
organized by Brady McCay, named Parlor Jam.  She has assembled a staff
of musicians who, each individually, are exceptionally talented, and
each one adds that spark of energy you like to present see in any band.
  That sum total of energy glues your ears to whatever they are doing.
Their hugely diverse selection of songs by itself keeps you so very
interested in seeing what tempo/beat/style that will choose for the
next song.

One of the things most interesting to me, being a trumpet player, is
the "new" sound coming from Parlor Jam Chuck Bond's trumpet.  He is
creating a sound unique to just himself in the same way that Dan
Barret's sound is so uniquely special  on trombone.  I asked him about
it and he said yes, that's exactly what he's trying to do.

Bond is not the same person who drove Titan Hot Five to the top of the
charts.  Actually, he IS the same person, but he is reinventing the
sound he's producing . . . He seems to be trying to caress and give you
a brightly polished and highly-refined sound that makes you lean
forward to catch what he's doing.  When he's done with a solo, the
words "Please don't stop. Play more" enters your mind. His final "
unique sound"  that he says he is is the middle of creating is
something that I am certain that others will soon be trying to copy.  I
know that I will . .

Parlor Jam did a song titled "Won't You Smile On Me Tonight", which was
so haunting and lyrical that it moved me almost to tears by its sheer
beauty and  because of the wonderful way it was performed. . the reason
that Brady performs it which such personal feeling is that, so it turns
out,  she wrote it.  When you see them, ask for the song. . . this has
the potential  for becoming her signature piece.

They said that it's been recorded, but not put onto a CD yet. Keep an
eye on Brady's website and snag it as soon as it comes out - -though I
have no idea when that will be .. . .  I also have no idea whose parlor
they've been jamming in, but they can jam in mine any day. They are a
force to be reckoned with.

If you're a festival promoter, I suggest you get your arse in gear and
snag 'em. . . . When the word gets out,  they will soon be drawing the
large audiences. .  . and that is my fearless prediction!

This past weekend's Monterey Festival was a "WOW!!" festival.    I was
there - - - wish you were beautiful.