[Dixielandjazz] Bobby Rosengarden Obit

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sat Mar 3 16:23:46 PST 2007

on 3/3/07 6:25 PM, Bill Haesler at bhaesler at bigpond.net.au wrote:

> Thanks for that Steve.
> Sad news.
> I was fortunate to meet and hear him here in Oz in 1979.
> Unfortunately, this obit was obviously written by someone unfamiliar with Mr
> Rosengarden's jazz credentials: Soprano Summit, Dick Hyman, The World's
> Greatest JB, etc., etc.
> Hopefully, someone will rectify this with a much more comprehensive obit.
> Kind regards,
> Bill.

Dear Bill:

Here is what Scott Yanow says about him in the All Music Guide.

"A versatile drummer equally skilled in the studios with a big band or
pushing a mainstream combo, Bobby Rosengarden has appeared on countless
sessions through the years. He began playing drums when he was 12, studied
at the University of Michigan and played in Army bands while in the military
(1944-45). After his discharge, Rosengarden worked with Henry Busse
(1945-46) and tenorman Alvy West (1946-48) before becoming a busy studio
musician. He played at NBC television from 1949-68, switching to ABC in
1969-74, where he led the band for the Dick Cavett Show. Through the years,
Rosengarden had opportunities to record (often on percussion) with Duke
Ellington (1959), Miles Davis/Gil Evans (1961) and Benny Goodman (starting
in the mid-1960s and gigging with Goodman off and on for 20 years).
Rosengarden gained some recognition for his work on the Dick Cavett Show and
after that he was a member of the World's Greatest Jazz Band (1974-78),
Soprano Summit (1975-78), The New York Jazz Repertory Company and Gerry
Mulligan's combo. In later years, Rosengarden (who has not led his own
recording date) has been most often heard as the drummer with a variety of
all-star, swing-oriented mainstream groups. No matter where he plays, he
contributes solid swing and taste to the music. "

A neat site to visit about Bobby was done by a fan. If interested see:

http://bjbear71.com/Rosengarden/bobby.html

Bobby was a tremendous talent, a real musicianer, and a nice man.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone