[Dixielandjazz] Stan Freberg's "U. S. A."

Dan Augustine ds.augustine at mail.utexas.edu
Fri Mar 2 07:11:57 PST 2007

     I've been recommending "Stan Freberg Presents the United States
of America" musical for years now, but i don't know if it was my post
that Mr. Ladd is referring to.
     However, from the time it came out in the 1960s on an LP until
now i've been listening to it and almost memorizing every line in it
(there is a sequal to it, but it's not as good).  It is available on
CD (actually as a 2-CD set) on Amazon.com and elsewhere.
     It was intended to be a musical production and i think it came
out in 1961, but as far as i know, it never appeared on Broadway or
elsewhere, just on a recording.  But it does have Billy May's fine
orchestra in it, hilarious gags and sound-effects, as part of a
series of short sketches of Freberg's take on American history, from
Columbus arriving on Miama Beach ("I'd like to cash a check, so if
you'll direct me to the nearest bank," he asks an Indian.  "You out
of luck today," says the Indian.  "Oh?  Why?" says Columbus/Freberg.
"Columbus Day," says the Indian.  "Ahem," says Columbus, "we going
out on that joke?"  "No," says the Indian, "we do reprise of song,
that help, but not much, no ....")
     Highly recommended (again).

     Dan

**  Dan Augustine  --  Austin, Texas  --  ds.augustine at mail.utexas.edu
**     "I always keep a supply of stimulant handy in case I see a
**      snake, which I also keep handy." -- W. C. Fields