[Dixielandjazz] YES!!! Traditional jazz drums......

John Petters jdpetters at btinternet.com
Thu Mar 1 06:18:40 PST 2007

Don Ingle wrote:
. Considering the array of multitudinous drums a rocker has
> these days, you'd think they could do as much with them and those early
> minimalist sets of the earlymasters produced. There's more than volume
> and flash to good drumming.

You are absolutely correct Don. I drove to London yesterday (2 hours)
and had the Baby Dodds talking drums CDs as my traveling companion. The
amount of tone colours he got from a fairly minimal kit was amazing.
There is a YouTube video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sA3rJXV4R4E

of Phil Collins bashing the hell out of a mammoth kit and saying noting!
You can have the best and biggest drum setup in the world and still be
unable to say anything meaningful. The early players had form and
substance to their solos and always told a story.
Keep swinging
--
John Petters
www.traditional-jazz.com