[Dixielandjazz] YES!!! Traditional jazz drums......

Don Ingle dingle at nomadinter.net
Thu Mar 1 05:24:11 PST 2007

John Petters wrote:
> Butch Thompson wrote:
>
>> John Petters wrote:
>>

>>> Early style jazz drumming is in danger of becoming a lost art with most
>>> drummers in traditional bands either unaware or disinterested in the
>>> early styles.
>>>
>> Exactly right, John.  Looking forward to checking out your clips later
>> today, but wanted to thank you right away for saying what needs to be said.
>>

> Thank you Butch. I posted two comments on Jeff Indyke's Baby Dodds style
>   video, but guess he is censoring them for some reason. You might like
> to check his video and see if you agree with me that he is not playing
> in the Dodds style yet is claiming to so do.
> Link
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sg4pSL82E5g
> As I know you are  as serious about the music as I am, It is always sad
> when folk try to play it and either get misled or don't bother to study
> the roots.
> Keep swinging
>
> John Petters
> www.traditional-jazz.com
> Amateur Radio Station G3YPZ

Butch would know -- he's had the chance to work with some of the better
drummers around. I especially note his time with the Hall Brothers band
in the Twin Cities, when he worked with the (sadly  forgotten) late Red
Maddox. Red was tasty but playfully
fun to hear, and knew all the old time press roll tricks few have truly
mastered (Hal Smith, Wayne Jones, Ray Smith being exceptions.) There was
also the fine Doc Cenardo of Detroit/Chicago/LA who played a press roll
so smoothly that it was felt more than heard. There are a few drummers
around today that have listened well, studied,and then applied these
tasty styles of the classic earlyday drummers, and we should be thankful
that they continue to play so that the styles are to lost to future
generations. Considering the array of multitudinous drums a rocker has
these days, you'd think they could do as much with them and those early
minimalist sets of the earlymasters produced. There's more than volume
and flash to good drumming.
Don Ingle