[Dixielandjazz] So many musicians, so little time

David Richoux tubaman at tubatoast.com
Sat Jun 30 11:55:10 PDT 2007

  I have been the Semiconductor (Drum Major) of the Los Trancos Woods
Community Marching Band for many years. Conducting a 3/4 (or 6/8)
song in "1" is a heck of a lot easier on the arm!

The hardest (and most interesting) time sigs for me are quite common
in Eastern European bands - if you ever have a chance to hear a good
"Balkan Brass" or Gypsy band (or recordings of the late Don Ellis
Orchestra) you will hear improvisations in 13/8 or such. There is a
growing world wide interest in this sort of music -
http://cocek.com/bands.html  is a good entry, also a Yahoogroup at:

Dave Richoux