[Dixielandjazz] The most important 7 bars in Trad Jazz

Kent Murdick kmurdick at jaguar1.usouthal.edu
Thu Jun 28 05:56:07 PDT 2007

This post never showed up so I'm trying again.

I'm probably not telling anyone on this list anything new, but here
goes.  One of the most important chord progressions in Jazz from
1910-1930 has to be the last 7 bars of Bill Bailey.  The interesting
thing is how this progression is sometime hidden either by the melody or
by slight variations. I'm talking about

IV, II7, I, VI7, II7, V7, I

(The VI, II, V I root movemnet is standard in all tonal
music.)  Sometimes  they mess with the first or second II7. The first
II7 can be just about any dominant substitution  In Milenburg Joys the
composer uses bVI7 substitution for both the VI and II7. In "Up a Lazy
River" the progression is double timed.  I use this idea to help me
memorize chord progressions.  Here are are few tunes with this classic 7
bars. BTW, does this progression come up before Bill Bailey, say in
ragtime?  I'm sure it must. Classical music too.

Bill Bailey
Milenburg Joys
Tiger Rag
Some of these Days
Struttin With some BarBQ
Washington and Lee Swing
I Can't Give You anything But Love
Up a Lazy River
Let Me Call You Sweetheart (IV, bI7,  I, VIm7,II7, V7, I) nice!
Sister Kate
Bourbon Street Parade (this IS Bill Bailey)

See what's free at AOL.com <http://www.aol.com/?ncid=AOLAOF00020000000503>.

See what's free at AOL.com <http://www.aol.com/?ncid=AOLAOF00020000000503>.