[Dixielandjazz] The Jazz Musician's Biography

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Tue Jun 26 09:43:42 PDT 2007

Thanks Steve - man there are dozens of things there that are great on that
blog.  I came across the following clip in one of the sections.  It reminds
me of the story about two guys running from a bear.  He says he can't out
run the bear but can outrun you.

There are a lot of guys out there that I have outrun.  You don't have to be
the best but if you aren't you have to develop other skills.

snip from the blog:
Technical ability is only a fraction of the total talent package required to
become a complete entertainer. The other requirements (in no particular
order) are creativity, image, attitude, charisma, persistence and
determination. You won't need all of these attributes to reach success at
some level... I know of many performers without much technical ability who
have carved out very successful careers for themselves with charisma,
persistence and determination. Some of the world's most successful
entertainers were initially told "don't quit your day job" only to rise to
the top through creative avenues that overcame their technical flaws.

Here it is again
http://www.isound.com/artist_blog/artist_biography

The advice to keep a bio short is really a good one. I would say even
shorter than 500 words.   People just don't read if they don't have to these
days.  Also writing in the third person.  I try to describe myself the same
way that the writers did on the old record albums.  Read a few of them for
tips on how to write a bio.

I'm sure everyone can learn something new that will help them promote their
music from the list of articles on the Blog.
Larry
St. Louis
Old age and treachery can always overcome youth and skill.