[Dixielandjazz] Ruby Braff and Dick hyman

Stan Brager sbrager at socal.rr.com
Mon Jun 25 08:36:10 PDT 2007

Bob;

I remember that album quite well. I was your engineer when you brought it
into KCSN-FM to play on your show. I was so impressed, I bought the LP and
then the CD which is still among the top recordings in my collection. It was
recorded at the Keystone Oaks High School in Dormont, Pennsylvania.

The liner notes state that the Wurlitzer theater pipe organ was built in
1927 and originally installed in the Prospect Theatre in Brooklyn, New
York.. In 1974, the organ was purchased, restored and installed in the
Keystone Oaks High School which is just outside of Pittsburgh.

Dick Hyman came to the school about a day before the recording to
familiarize himself with the instrument. He said, "The tonal colors of a
pipe organ are its great glory.

"And once you launch into a bright, swinging tempo with the instrument
sounding perhaps a beat behind your fingers, the sensation is like leading a
herd of galloping elephants. You don't dare look back."

The liner notes begin with Ruby's words, "You really think you're answering
to a higher authority when playing in a setting like that, because the
sounds come out of the ceiling and everywhere. It's an incredible feeling."

The album is on the Concord label and the LP had the same name as the CD -
"America The Beautiful".

Stan
Stan Brager