[Dixielandjazz] Ruby Braff

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Mon Jun 25 07:00:18 PDT 2007

"Marek Boym" <marekboym at gmail.com>
> I believe that we owe a big debt to Matt Domber for having issued so much
> Braff! Among us, my friends and i have most of those.

I go along with that.

One of my favorites on Arbors is:

Ruby Braff Septet - The Cape Codfather - Arbors - recorded in 1999.

WOT?, no banjo or tuba? :-) VBG (just kidding)

"Ruby Braff, Cornet, Kenny Davern, Clarinet, Tommy Newsom, Tenor Sax, John
Bunch, Piano, Howard Alden, Guitar, Michael Moore, Bass, Kenny Washington,
Drums.

Our bass player, Ace Tesone has fond memories of playing with Braff a few
times in Philadelphia at Music City several decades ago, when Braff was
scrambling for gigs.

You might also look for this CD Marek. A Mosaic release, available soon.

Ruby Braff - Hi Fi Salute To Bunny
The band swings from first note to last and stretches out with six tunes
over six minutes.

1957 marked the 15th anniversary of the death of the remarkable trumpeter
and bandleader Bunny Berigan. To pay homage to Bunny, RCA Victor decided to
bring Ruby Braff and seven mainstream veterans and newcomers to the studio
and perform nine tunes associated with Berigan including I Can't Get
Started, Marie and Downhearted Blues. He is joined by Pee Wee Russell, Dick
Hafer, Benny Morton, Nat Pierce, Steve Jordan, Walter Page (one of his last
recordings) and Buzzy Drootin.

Mosaic Single CD (MCD-1016) - $15  Available end of this month at:

http://www.mosaicrecords.com/futureprojects.asp

Cheers,
Steve Barbone