[Dixielandjazz] Song: The Moonlight, A Sailboat and You

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Sun Jun 24 18:02:36 PDT 2007

> Yesterday, we were playing a gig at a local retirement center
> and met a resident who asked if we knew the song:
> "The Moonlight, A Sailboat and You".
> We do not have a song by that title in the thousands of songs we have
> in our library.

Dear Buzz and Vickye,
That is probably because, once again, someone has given you a song
title based on the words they recall.
Trumpet players do it all the time.  8>)
I suggest that they may have wanted "A Sailboat in the Moonlight" [and
you] (1937. Carmen Lombardo-John Jacob Loeb).
It was recorded at the time by Guy Lombardo and His Royal Canadians and
others, including Johnny Hodges and Billie Holiday.
A nice tune too.
Kind regards,
Bill.