[Dixielandjazz] Carolina Chocolate Drops on Prairie Home Companionthis we...

LRG4003 at aol.com LRG4003 at aol.com
Sat Jun 23 20:46:30 PDT 2007

I was at the Prairie Home Companion performance featuring the Carolina
Chocolate Drops on Friday (live show was Friday, first broadcast on  Saturday).
First time I had heard (or heard of) them. They are a very  interesting, high
energy group.  Played more of the Piedmont blue grass  folk genre for this show
but I got the distinct feeling that they could do just  about anything.  At
least 3 players are classically trained.  They  also danced at one point during
the program.  Quality players and  performers.  So is the group name a revived
one or just a tongue in cheek  salute to the fact that they are all
Afro-American?  Anyone know they're  background or how long they've been playing?

K.C. Clarinet