[Dixielandjazz] Eighty Six

Don Kirkman donsno2 at wavecable.com
Sat Jun 23 16:24:19 PDT 2007

On Sat, 23 Jun 2007 08:19:22 -0700, Robert S. Ringwald wrote:

> Bill Haesler wrote:

> > I have been absorbing with interest all the explanations for the term
>> "86ed" but, having asked the initial question, and as a researcher, I am
>> still not convinced by the guesses so far.
>> Most seem to be too localised in that they refer to individual state
>> codes, clubs, etc. . . . So I finally checked my trusty companion 'The
>> Cassell Dictionary of Slang' by Jonathon Green [1998. Cassell, London] and
>> prefer his more logical, wide-ranging definition:

>> Eighty six. v. 1 [1960s+] to throw out, to get rid of. [rhy. sl. eighty
>> six = NIX v.: orig. restaurant and bar use, indicating that the supply of
>> an item is exhausted or that a customer is not to be served]
>(snip)

>Bill, that is exactly how the term is used here.  I have no idea of the
>origin.

>The term DUI (Driving under the influence) is now a california code 23102A.
>The old term for getting a drunk driving charge is 502 as in (five o two).
>That term is still used today, probably by the older folks who remember it.
>I think the California code probably used to be 502 whereas it is now
>23102A.

It certainly was 502 VC, but I can no longer remember when the change
happened--probably before I began working for a local county.  And there
ain't but a very few of us who can remember 502 ever existed.  :-)

And I understand since I left 23102A VC has been changed again to
23152(a) VC.

A little off to one side of the topic, but apart from these references
to obsolete code sections it's part of the fun to hear cops on TV
programs set in other jurisdictions use the California references, like
415 for disturbing the peace or 187 for murder.

I just "Try to Remember."
--
Don Kirkman