[Dixielandjazz] Eighty Six

Robert S. Ringwald robert at ringwald.com
Sat Jun 23 08:19:22 PDT 2007

 Bill Haesler wrote:

 > I have been absorbing with interest all the explanations for the term
> "86ed" but, having asked the initial question, and as a researcher, I am
> still not convinced by the guesses so far.
> Most seem to be too localised in that they refer to individual state
> codes, clubs, etc. . . . So I finally checked my trusty companion 'The
> Cassell Dictionary of Slang' by Jonathon Green [1998. Cassell, London] and
> prefer his more logical, wide-ranging definition:
>
> Eighty six. v. 1 [1960s+] to throw out, to get rid of. [rhy. sl. eighty
> six = NIX v.: orig. restaurant and bar use, indicating that the supply of
> an item is exhausted or that a customer is not to be served]
(snip)

Bill, that is exactly how the term is used here.  I have no idea of the
origin.

The term DUI (Driving under the influence) is now a california code 23102A.
The old term for getting a drunk driving charge is 502 as in (five o two).
That term is still used today, probably by the older folks who remember it.
I think the California code probably used to be 502 whereas it is now
23102A.

Now you know more about this subject than you ever wanted to know.

--Bob Ringwald