[Dixielandjazz] Blow Gabriel, Blow

Fr M J (Mike) Logsdon mjl at ix.netcom.com
Sat Jun 16 12:53:10 PDT 2007

>>>I am not Fra Mike, but I do know that there is an anonymous angel
mentioned
in the Book of Revelations that blows a trumpet announcing the end of the
Apocalypse and the beginning of Judgement Day. Since there were only two
angels ( I think) mentioned by name in the Bible, Michael (Archangel) and
Gabriel, someone years ago probably tagged the angel Gabriel as the trumpet
blower.

The unnamed horn blowing angel is depicted in many works of art dating back
at least 1000 years.<<<

In the apocryphal Book of Tobit, we meet Raphael, and in the Kaballah (sp?)
we meet Uriel, the "missing" fourth Archangel.

And in the Eastern Orthodox tradition, there's actually several more.  It's
actually a pretty crowded room, the Archangel Division of the Heavenly
Beings.

But back to music....