[Dixielandjazz] Blow Gabriel, Blow

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Fri Jun 15 21:38:50 PDT 2007

Gluetje1 at aol.com wrote

>Thanks, what I'm specifically trying to learn is in what ancient text was  it
>written that Gabriel blew a horn--or at what later point in history did that
>imagery develop?  Like, you know, did it come from Dante or  somewhere?
>Dennis Owsley's book on the history of trumpet/cornet playing  in St. Louis
>Jazz is titled, City of Gabriels.  But right now I'm  suspecting that Gabriel
>blowing a horn may not be part of orthodox  texts of any faith.  I tried some
>web searching before posing the question,  found plenty on Gabriel, just not
>the original source of Gabriel's horn  blowing.

Dear Ginny:

I am not Fra Mike, but I do know that there is an anonymous angel mentioned
in the Book of Revelations that blows a trumpet announcing the end of the
Apocalypse and the beginning of Judgement Day. Since there were only two
angels ( I think) mentioned by name in the Bible, Michael (Archangel) and
Gabriel, someone years ago probably tagged the angel Gabriel as the trumpet
blower.

The unnamed horn blowing angel is depicted in many works of art dating back
at least 1000 years.

Maybe Cole Porter named him? (just kidding)

Cheers,
Steve Barbone