[Dixielandjazz] Small World

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Thu Jun 14 15:30:04 PDT 2007

On Friday, June 15, 2007, at 12:09  AM, Steve Barbone wrote:
> Got this note from the parents of the bride. Anybody know trombonist
> Peter
> Beilmann mentioned below? He recorded with Nichols as well as Wingy
> Manone.

Dear Steve,
No stories yet, but can confirm that the above information is correct.
A Pete Beilman (note spelling) recorded in 1925 with the Oliver Naylor
Orchestra in 1925 (alongside pianist Bob Zurke, later to make his name
with the 1930s Bob Crosby Orch/Bobcats); Phinky's Birmingham Five
(1925); Ted Weems (1927-29); Ted Weems again in 1934-1941, with Rosy
McHargue and Red Ingle (listmate Don's dad); Wingy Manone (the World
Transcription recordings in Feb 1944); was in the orch for the 1959
film 'Five Pennies' (but does not appear on screen); and is on several
Red Nichols record dates for Capitol in 1958 -59.
I have most or all of the recordings all except the 1934-41 Weems'
titles.
Don Ingle will be sure to remember him.
And based on Mr Beilman's pedigree, he will be telling you lots of
stories.
Knowing you Steve, I'll bet you have already found the following on the
net:

"Trombonist Peter Beilman's professional debut is an event obscured, as
if by the kind of fog that might settle across his native state of
Pennsylvania on a winter morning. He began playing the long horn as a
12-year-old and was touring at the age of 17, with a series of
local-band involvements in between. The jazz septet of Oliver Naylor
provided the trombonist with his first recording opportunities in 1924.
Eventually, Beilman would pursue a freelance career on the New York
City scene, but he spent a few more years in jobs such as a Lancaster
pit band before doing so. In the early '30s, his main Big Apple gig
bite was with bandleader Bernie Cummins, but from 1934 the trombonist
began to be associated almost exclusively with Ted Weems.
This developed into a fairly long stretch, concluding in 1941 when the
trombonist moved out to Los Angeles, settling back into pit-band and
radio-broadcast engagements. As a jazzman, his West Coast playing
situations found him in the company of many tried-and-true swingers,
including both the trumpeters Wingy Manone and Red Nichols. The latter
performer brought Beilman into his combo in 1958; the trombonist is
featured on some of Nichols' better Capitol sides. Beilman's most
extensive exposure to the music audience at large has been on classic
recordings by vocalists such as Frank Sinatra and Judy Garland."
Eugene Chadbourne, All Music Guide

Kind regards,
Bill.