[Dixielandjazz] Clarinet Tuning>>A Tune About That

budtuba at aol.com budtuba at aol.com
Thu Jun 14 08:51:20 PDT 2007

My Selmer 10G was also a little flat, especially in the upper register. What
I did was go to as Moening barrel 2 mm shorter than the Selmer Barrel that
came with the horn. Now the upper register is spot on, though the top notes
in the lower have become slightly sharp. So I lip them down a bit. (from D
upwards to Bb) I also think the Moening changed my sound and volume for the
better, though the classical clarinet mavens think a brand switch on the
barrel is akin to heresy.

Hence, they wrote the tune, Moening Low.

Fla-bat-bat

Roy (Bud) Taylor
Smugtown Stompers Jazz Band
Trad Jazz since 1958...we ain't just whistling dixie!