[Dixielandjazz] More on the economics of using NO equipment

Kent Murdick kmurdick at jaguar1.usouthal.edu
Thu Jun 14 06:46:17 PDT 2007

I've commented before that, essentially, most players charge rental on
their equipment and play for free.  I was refering  specifically to the
"moaners"  (people who sit on a stool , strum the guitar and moan), but
the same could be said for some Trad jazz players.  Another economic
benifit of using no equipment is the time.  Whereas our duo/trio walks
into the gig five minutes ahead of time and starts playing, others must
put in an extra 1-2 hours in setting up and tearing the equipment.
Remember what Einstein said: "Time is money".

We're playing an outdoor gig this afternoon at 3:00 at the farmer's
market. We'll just wander over to the nearest tree and start playing
and at 6:00 when the gig is over we'll go home.  A new guy is playing
with us for the first time.  He's from the Excelsior Brass Band (Mobile,
not New Orleans) . The Excelsior band  has been performing continuously
since 1850.  (Does that make it the oldest brass band in the country? )
Nobody knows this guy, but he says he can fake.