[Dixielandjazz] Carnegie Hall Liner Notes

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed Jun 13 12:31:48 PDT 2007

"Robert S. Ringwald" <robert at ringwald.com> wrote (polite snip)

> I remember when I was about 14 or 15 and saw the film "The Benny Goodman
> Story."  I immediately went out and purchased the 2 LP set.  On those liner
> notes they claimed that only the overhead mic was used.

The liner notes did indeed relate this conversation that took place the day
after the concert. They are from the last 2 paragraphs of the notes:

" . . . someone said to Goodman. "It's too damn bad somebody didn't make a
record of this whole thing." He (Goodman) smiled and said: "Somebody did."

"Incredulously, I (Irving Kolodin writer of the liner notes) heard those
'takes' (relayed to the CBS studios from a single overhead mike from
Carnegie Hall) and relived the experience detailed above."

Cheers,
Steve Barbone