[Dixielandjazz] ridiculous newspaper article

Marty Nichols marnichols at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 13 09:03:21 PDT 2007

David Richoux wrote:<snip>"By the way, just remember where all this OKOM music really started -
in the dance halls, brothels, bars and "the streets" - not exactly
the "accepted venues" for "polite society." If you study the history
of newspapers I am sure you will find there was an equivalent to the
?alternate newspaper" in those days, and all the bands would have
advertised their performances in such "rags " and they also probably
would be refused by the "mainstream newspapers."

  I started loving OKOM when a young child and I had never
  been, or desired to go to any dive, or bar. I have always seen the connection with the "dark side" as a curse on good music.

  I particularly recall seeing Jack Teagarden in Boston MA back in the 60's in a venue that I thought was far "below" his level.

  What a shame!

Gerald "Marty" Nichols
  Hear My Music at:
  http://myspace.com/freemarty