[Dixielandjazz] Benny Goodman Small Groups

Dave Stoddard dhs2 at peoplepc.com
Tue Jun 12 22:33:40 PDT 2007

Dear Listers:

In 1990 the Italian label Giants of Jazz released a CD called Benny Goodman Small Combos 1935-1941.  I bought a copy of it, and have enjoyed it ever since.  It has six Trio sides, twelve Quartet sides, two Quintet sides and four Sextet sides for a total of 24 cuts.  It's a great CD.

Unfortunately, Giants of Jazz hasn't kept the CD in print, and you may be limited to stumbling over a used copy somewhere.  I had the same trouble with Harry James and his Orchestra 1954-1966.  I bought my copy but was unable to find any more to use as gifts.  It's from the Harry James "Basie" period and is a wonderful CD of a terrific band.  Oh well.

Regards,
Dave Stoddard